The Museum Gunzenhauser the shows one of the biggest private collections and the world's most comprehensive bundle of papers by Otto Dix.
The Art Collections Chemnitz are located in the König-Albert-Museum at the Theaterplatz, designed by Richard Möbius and opened in 1909, and accommodate more than 60.000 exhibits.
The museum building, refurbished since 1993, constructionally and aesthetically meets today's highest demands of contemporary art presentation. The museum houses the second biggest collection of works of Karl Schmidt-Rottluffs. With the Museum Gunzenhauser the Art Collections Chemnitz show one of the biggest private collections of art from the first and second half of the 20th century in Germany. The Munich gallerist Dr. Alfred Gunzenhauser donated more than 2.400 works of 270 artists to the museum, among them the world's largest Otto-Dix- Collection with 290 pieces.